Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A month gone by---

Wow! I can't believe!!!! it has been almost a month! In that month, we have moved, (STRESS!!), we have celebrated my BEAUTIFUL daughter's first Birthday!!, my husband turned 30! I went on one date, with another one on Friday(yay, cuban food). And we have endured a two week long run of sickness that has circled through the house! SO glad there is light at the end of the tunnel on that one!!
Currently, I am making my Thanksgiving Dinner food list. I am cooking this year for about 16 people. You know what, it is my first year in my new home(1st month actually, but you get the point), and I want to make the dinner. One of my in-law's is pregnant and sick, (and she happens to be my next door(well 2 doors down) neighbor, and she and her family are coming. My MIL will be living with us, my other SIL and her family are coming, and adding our 6, makes 16!. What I decided is this... I am cooking, so I get to decide WHAT I am cooking. Now, if you have ever cooked a holiday meal(one that is STEEPED in tradition) for anyone, you know that there will be alot of "Where's the....insert common holiday food?" Well, I won't change everything up, but you know what??? I don't like Green bean casserole...I am not going to make it. I will make creamed spinach, and possibly roasted asparagus. IF someone needs to have a bowl of green beans with disgusting canned mushroom soup and fried onions on it, then, by all means, make it and bring it with you!! That is all I have to say! I also grew up having the BEST Thanksgiving dinner ever!! There were NO mashed potatoes--*GASP*. THere were however, the best darned sweet potatoes with marshmallowy goodness, ever, and well, friends, that is what we are having! See note about green bean casserole if you want mashed potatoes! I will also be having Waldorf Salad, another Tonini Tradition. It is yummy. I like it. I also want to have a little creative freedom, and by golly, I will have it! I am cooking and I think I can do it pretty well, so I will take liberties where I see fit. I am not cooking the stuffing in the bird this year, really because my turkey will cook faster and more evenly, but more importantly, my SIL is pregnant, and want to keep all potential bacteria at bay! And my other SIL will be stuffing a 2nd bird, so all palletes will be pleased! She is a great cook too!  There will of course be yummy yeasty rolls, Sage stuffing(hey I may throw a chopped up apple in there...who knows!), the aforementioned Sweet potatoes(this will be an all out carb fest people). I am also making(I think) a pecan pie, and A pumpkin Cheesecake...sounds so good, I may practice this week! Oh, and homemade cranberry sauce...a request of my dear husband...who, bless his heart, likes the idea that I like to change things up a bit(as long as I don't mess with the sweet potatoes!) Yes, my dear MIL, there will be that "thwap" of canned jellied cranberry sauce so that you can eat it to your heart's content! Ohhhhh....how could I forget, the corn pudding!! It may sound gross, but it is oh so yummy...if--I can get my Mayme's recipe for it...mmmmm. Okay, so that is all! Have a grand day!

1 comment:

Natalie of TheBusyBudgetingMama.com said...

haha you are hilarious. great post. and mmm corn puddinggggg. thats a tradition of ours. the first time i made it for ben he was so confused at what it really was but then loved it! glad you guys are getting settled into your new place. we're all getting together at bob's for thanksgiving i still need to figure out what to bring! it's gonna be a houseful i know that much..all of us and i think some homeless people they've befriended! lots of mouths to feed but so much fun.